Mobile Radio Networks
Wireless Networks (10 credits) includes two courses (5 credits each):
- Mobile Radio Networks (This page)
- Wireless Internet (see prof. Redondi page)
- Results of the exam (31/01/2019) can be found HERE. If you want to check your exam or take an oral exam, you can come to my office (Dean's office, building 2, next to room N.0.1) on Tuesday February 12th at 2:00pm-3pm.
- Results of the exam (17/07/2018) can be found HERE. Marks will be entered in the POLIMI system soon. In case you still have to deliver project and you want then to postpone mark registration to September, you have to reject the mark on POLIMI system. If you want to check your exam, you can come to my office (DEIB, building 20) on Tuesday July 24th at 11:30am-1pm.
- Results of the exam (02/07/2018) can be found here. Marks will be entered in the POLIMI system soon. In case you still have to deliver project and you want then to postpone mark registration, you have to reject the mark on POLIMI system.
- Results of the pre-exam (15/06/2018) can be found here. Important notes: all marks will be rounded up. Marks > 30 mean 30L. Make sure to register for the next appello in order to finalize your grade.
- Results of the 13/02/18 exam are out
- New examples of previous exams have been added.
- Data set for network analysis added (download HERE)
- 5G Seminar slides available (download HERE)
Results exams: exam file (updated with exam on June 16, 2017)
GENERAL RULES FOR EXAMS:
- The exam is mainly written. There is an additional mandatory oral exam if the score of the written exam is >26. Additional oral exam can be also requested by the student.
- During the written exam printouts of teaching material used during lectures cannot be used.
- Introductory part
- Mobile Radio Networks (MRN)
- Wireless Internet
- MRN 27-06-2017
- MRN 17-07-2017
- MRN 12-09-2017
- MRN 25-01-2018
- MRN 13-02-2018
- Example 1
- Example 2
- MRN exam 25/06/2012
- MRN exam 19/07/2012
- WI exam 25/06/2012
- WI exam 19/07/2012
- WN exam 25/06/2012
- WN exam 19/07/2012
- MRN exam 20/06/2014
- MRN exam 11/02/2015
- WN exam 20/06/2014
- WN exam 11/02/2015
Seminar slides on Optimization
The two sets of slides can be found here and here.
They are password protected, the password is the code of the Wireless Networks (10 credits) course.
Suggested readings: MRN
Performance of radio access networks
- J. M. Aein, A Multi-User-Class, Blocked-Calls-Cleared, Demand Access Model, IEEE Trans. on Communications, vol. 26, no. 3, March 1978, pp. 378-385.
- B. Jabbari, Teletraffic Aspects of Evolving and Next-Generation Wireless Communication Networks, IEEE Communication Magazine, Dic. 1996.
- Qing-An Zeng And Dharma P. Agrawa, Handoff in Wireless Mobile Networks, in Handbook of Wireless Networks and Mobile Computing, John Wiley & sons, 2002.
- E. Amaldi, A. Capone, F. Malucelli, C. Mannino,"Optimization problems and models for planning cellular networks", in Handbook of Optimization in Telecommunications, Kluwer Academic Publishers 2005.
- C. Bettstetter, H.-J. Vogel, J. Eberspacher, “GSM Phase 2+ General Packet Radio Service GPRS: Architecture, Protocols And Air Interface”, IEEE Communications Surveys, Vol. 2, No 3, 1999.
- S. Parkvall, E. Englund, M. Lundevall, J. Torsner, "Evolving 3G mobile systems: broadband and broadcast services in WCDMA," Communications Magazine, IEEE , vol.44, no.2, pp. 30- 36, Feb. 2006.
- A. Cuevas, J.I. Moreno, P. Vidales, H. Einsiedler, "The IMS service platform: a solution for next-generation network operators to be more than bit pipes," IEEE Communications Magazine, vol.44, no.8, pp.75-81, Aug. 2006
- D. Astely, E. Dahlman, A. Furuskar, Y. Jading, M. Lindstrom, S. Parkvall, "LTE: the evolution of mobile broadband," IEEE Communications Magazine, vol.47, no.4, pp.44-51, April 2009
Impact of the location area structure on the performance of signaling channels in wireless cellular networks
Rubin, I.; Choi, C.W.
IEEE Communications Magazine , Volume: 35 Issue: 2 , Feb. 1997
Page(s): 108 –115
Trends in handover design
IEEE Communications Magazine , Volume: 34 Issue: 3 , March 1996
Page(s): 82 –90
Models and Solution Techniques for Frequency Assignment Problem
Aardal, van Hoesel, Koster, Mannino, Sassano
ZIB – Konrad-Zuse-Zentrum fur Informationsyechnik Berlin
Technical Report no. 01-40, December 2001.
Channel Assignment Problem in Cellular Systems:A New Model and a Tabu Search Algorithm
Capone, A.; Trubian, M.
IEEE Trans. on Vehicular Technology, vol. 48, no. 4,
Channel assignment schemes for cellular mobile telecommunication systems: a comprehensive survey
Katzela, I.; Naghshineh, M.
IEEE Personal Communications , Volume: 3 Issue: 3 , June 1996
Page(s): 10 –31
On the Capacity of a Cellular CDMA System
Viterbi, A.J. et alt.
IEEE Trans. on Vehicular Technology , Volume: 40 Issue: 2 , May 1991
Page(s): 10 -31
Suggested readings: WI
- M. Ergen, 802.11 Tutorial, UC Berkeley
- S. Mangold et al., “Analysis of IEEE 802.11e for QoS support in wireless LANs”, IEEE Wireless Communications, Dic. 2003
- J.D. Camp and E.W. Knightly, "The IEEE 802.11s Extended Service Set Mesh Networking Standard, IEEE Communications Magazine, Aug. 2008.
- Y. Xiao, "IEEE 802.11N: ENHANCEMENTS FOR HIGHER THROUGHPUT IN WIRELESS LANS", IEEE Wireless Communications, Dec. 2005.
- G. Bianchi et al., Performance Study of IEEE 802.11 DCF and IEEE 802.11e EDCA.
- - C. Bisdikian, “An Overview of the Bluetooth Wireless Technology”, IEEE Communication Magazine, Dec. 2001.
- - K. Sairam et al., “Bluetooth in Wireless Communication”, IEEE Communication Magazine, June 2002.
- - J. C. Haartsen, “The Bluetooth Radio System” IEEE Pers. Commun., Feb. 2000
- - P. Kinney: “ZigBee: Wireless Control That Simply Works”, white paper.
- - E. Callaway, “Home networking with IEEE 802.15.4: a developing standard for low-rate wireless personal area networks”, IEEE Communications Magazine, Aug. 2002.
- P. Johansson, M. Kazantzidis, R. Kapoor, M. Gerla, "Bluetooth: an enabler for personal area networking," IEEE Network, vol.15, no.5, pp.28-37, Sep/Oct 2001.
- J. Lansford, A. Stephens, R. Nevo, "Wi-Fi (802.11b) and Bluetooth: enabling coexistence," IEEE Network, vol.15, no.5, pp.20-27, Sep/Oct 2001.
- G. Zussman, A. Segall, U. Yechiali, "On the Analysis of the Bluetooth Time Division Duplex Mechanism," Wireless Communications, IEEE Transactions on , vol.6, no.6, pp.2149-2161, June 2007.
- Carl Eklund et al., “ IEEE Standard 802.16: A Technical Overview of the WirelessMAN™ Air Interface forBroadband Wireless Access”, IEEE Communication Magazine, June 2002.
- A. Ghosh et al. “Broadband Wireless Access with WiMax/8O2.16: Current Performance Benchmarks and Future Potential”, IEEE Communication Magazine, Feb. 2005.
Appunti di teoria del traffico (per gli studenti che non hanno visto la teoria delle code in corsi precedenti)
- V. Bharghavan, Songwu Lu, T. Nandagopal, “Fair queuing in wireless networks: issues and approaches”, IEEE Personal Communications, vol. 6, no. 1, Feb. 1999, pp. 44-53.
- Yu-Chee Tseng, Wen-Hua Liao, and Shih-Lin Wu, Mobile Ad Hoc Networks and Routing Protocols, in Handbook of Wireless Networks and Mobile Computing, John Wiley & sons, 2002.
- C. Douligeris and T. Vasilakos, “Mobile IP Protocols”, in Handbook of Wireless Networks and Mobile Computing, John Wiley & sons, 2002.
- C. Perkins, Mobile IP, white paper.
- - A. Campbel et al., “Comparison of IP Micromobility Protocols”, IEEE Wireless Communications, Feb. 2002.
- D. Saha et al., “Mobility Support in IP: A Survey of Related Protocols”, IEEE Network, Nov/Dec 2004.
TCP on wireless
- M. Mathis, J. Semke, J. Mahdavi, T.Ott, “The Macroscopic Behavior of the TCP Congestion Avoidance Algorithm”, Computer Communications Review, vol. 27(3), July 1997.
- J. Padye, V. Firoiu, D. Towsley, J. Kurose, “Modeling TCP Reno performance: a simple model and its empirical validation”, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, Vol. 8(2), April 2000, pagine: 133 – 145
- N. Cardwell, “Modeling the Performance of Short TCP Connections”.